Trade-In Policy FAQ
If you have books that you have already read, you can bring them to Fiction Addiction and see if we need any of them. In exchange for any books that we accept, we give a store credit that is good for anything in our store -- new books, used books, gift merchandise -- including special orders. Store credit does not expire and can be used to pay for your entire purchase, including sales tax.
Can I Get Cash Instead of Store Credit?
No, we do not pay cash for books.
When Can I Bring My Books? Do I Need an Appointment?
We're happy to look at one grocery bag of books per customer at any time during our regular store hours: Mon-Fri, 10am-5:30pm, and Sat, 10am-4pm.
How Many Books Can I Bring? Do You Have a Limit?
We're happy to look at one grocery bag of books per customer at any time during our regular store hours: Mon-Sat, 10am-5:30pm, and Sat, 10am-4pm.
Can I Bring Books That I Didn't Buy From You?
How Much Credit Will I Get?
For books that we accept, we give:
Adult hardcover: $1.50
Adult trade paper: $1.00
Adult mass-market: $.75
Kid's & YA hardcovers with dust jackets: $1.00
Other kids & YA books: $.50
Audios: For audiobooks, we give 10% of the original cover price, with no maximum.
What Can I Spend My Credit On?
Store credit is good for anything in our store -- new books, used books, gift merchandise -- including special orders. Store credit does not expire and can be used to pay for your entire purchase, including sales tax.
Why Can't You Take All My Books?
We're sorry but we are offered many more books than we could possibly sell in our store. Some reasons we may not be able to use your books include the following:
If we are simply overstocked on a title, you are welcome to take the book back and try it again in a month. Or, for our customers' convenience, we will be happy to donate the books for you. Donation recipients have included, The Greenville Literacy Association, Lapsits for Early Literacy, Friends of the Greenville County Library, and The Free Clinic.
- we are overstocked on that particular title
- the title/author is not something that sells for us
- the book is not in good enough condition
I Bought This Book from You -- Why Won't You Take It Back?
If we bought back every book that we sold, all we would have in our store would be books that our customers had already read. In order to keep our inventory fresh and have room for new releases, we cannot guarantee to take back a book that you bought from us.
What Should I Do With the Books You Don't Take?
If you are simply trying to clean out and de-clutter, you may wish to donate your books. We are a collection point for Friends of the Library. We can even give you a tax receipt for your donation (if you wish one, please ask). Otherwise, you are welcome to take your books back and try them again in a month.
Is There Any Type of Book That You Don't Take?
We do not take the following:
We rarely take the following:
- paperbacks with clipped corners
- books with loose or torn pages
- books that smell strongly of smoke
- books with mildew
- books that are brought in boxes containing bugs or rodents
- Reader's Digest Condensed Books
- Videos (DVD or VHS)
- Computer games
- individual comic books (we DO take graphic novels)
- dirty or water-stained books
- category romances (i.e., thin Harlequins, Silhouettes, etc.)
- men's series action/adventure (i.e., Mack Bolan)
- hardcovers that are missing their dust jackets
- ex-library books
- books that have been laminated
- bookclub editions
- Advance Reading Copies or Uncorrected Proofs
- encyclopedias, almanacs, etc.
- audiobooks in cassette form (we DO take CD audiobooks)
What Books Are You Looking For?
Our needs change on a daily basis depending on what's selling and what's already been trade in, but here are a few things we usually need:
- books released within the past 3 months
- books on school reading lists
- books that we've selected as store picks
- Children's Caldecott Medal winners & honorees
- Dr. Seuss, Curious George, & Magic School Bus books
- My First Step Into Reading books (the level before Level 1)
- Steven King first editions
- Dee Henderson, Karen Kingsbury, C.S. Lewis & Francine Rivers books